Summer is here and so is the heat. Did you know that Chinese herbs can keep you cool when it is hot? Here are just some of the drinks the Chinese have used for thousands of years to beat the heat. Ask your practitioner about their favorites!
- Bo He or peppermint is a universally popular addition to summer drinks. It can be added to teas, lemonade and juices.
- Da Mai or roasted barley tea widely used in China to cool and aid in digestion during the dog days.
- Lu Dou or Mung Bean soup are slightly sweet and a great cooling as well as nourishing snack enjoyed all over the Far East.
- Bai Ju Hua or White Chrysanthemum makes a great cooling tea that is also traditionally used for hypertension and headaches.
- Jin Yin Hua or Honeysuckle Flower Tea is great for cooling and detoxifying as well as reducing swelling, sore throats and headaches
- Suan Mei or Sour Plum Decoction has a mixture of herbs that by themselves are good for you but when put together create an ancient cooling drink. Ingredients: Sour plum, Chinese Osmanthus, hawthorn fruit and licorice root.